How to Install a Coolant Expansion Tank
- 1). Install the expansion tank in the engine compartment. The position will vary, but it is usually along an edge of the compartment near the air cleaner. Attach its fasteners with a wrench or screwdriver.
- 2). Connect the hoses from the radiator to the expansion tank. You will need pliers or a screwdriver to secure the hose clamps.
- 3). Reinstall any components that were in the way of the tank's installation. This often includes the air filter housing. Place the filter on its grommets. Connect its fasteners and intake tube with its hose clamp.
- 4). Fill the radiator with the proper mixture of coolant and water to the "fill cold" mark on the radiator's filler neck. Make sure the cap is securely fastened to the expansion tank.
- 5). Start and run the engine to normal operating temperature. Let the engine run for about three minutes, then shut it off and wait for it to cool.
- 6). Add more coolant to the expansion tank to its "cold" mark. Repeat Step 5.